Tuesday 2 October 2012

put some music in your food




I first had this meal at a family party. My uncle's family is from Jamaica and they have introduced us to a lot of Caribbean food. I was bought Levi Roots' cook book as a present. I have changed the ingredients and how it is cooked slightly but it is still delicious. The sauce is described as a 'gravy' because it is water based but it's full of flavour from the seasonings on the chicken.
 
Get the chicken ready at least half an hour (I usually give it a few hours) before you are going to start cooking to give the seasonings time to flavour the chicken:
  • Juice of one lemon
  • half a tea spoon of salt and half of pepper
  • two table spoons of Everyday Seasoning
  • two tea spoons of Chicken Seasoning
Add a little oil to a pan and start to cook the chicken. Once it is nearly done add the vegetables. I use 2 onions, 3 spring onions, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 peppers and a chili. Once this is all cooked, add a pint of water. Once the water has boiled, leave to simmer for roughly 15 minutes (I usually leave to simmer whilst the rice is cooking). The you're done.
 
I think the hardest thing about this meal is getting the Everyday Seasoning, but I have found that quite a few Sainsbury's have it in stock.



No comments: